Learn New Skills with LYS
Trainees with our award winning Bakery Skills Course
Young people (16-21yrs) who would like to pursue a career in the digital arts, baking or catering industries, work with children, start on the road to being a carpenter or learn new skills that will change their lives, are invited to apply for number of courses at Limerick Youth Service (LYS).
The courses available are:
- QQI Level 3 Employability Skills: this programme allows learners an opportunity to experience different parts of the Catering course while also studying horticulture and woodwork.
- QQI Level 4 Digital Arts: an exciting programme where learners will develop hands-on techniques using software such as InDesign and Photoshop and other graphic formats.
- QQI Level 4 Bakery Skills: a two year programme where trainees learn about the baking industry such as understanding of ingredients and methods used to produce bread and confectionary products.
- QQI Level 4 Catering Skills: a multi-disciplined programme of study that introduces young people to the various parts of the catering industry including short order cooking, meal service, kitchen skills and restaurant service.
Both the bakery and catering courses are delivered in industry standard facilities with the produce served to the public in LYS’ restaurant and shop.
Trainee April at Ballymaloe Catering School
- QQI Level 4 Early Child Care Skills: development, child observation techniques and recognising the diverse needs of children and families, are just some of the many modules covered in this exciting course that is a great base for young people wishing to pursue career in the sector.
- QQI Level 4 Retail Skills: a one year course that equips a young person with the relevant knowledge, skill and experience to pursue a career in the retail sector.
On enrolling with LYS, young people will spend their time in a supportive and encouraging environment, avail of academic and personal support services and participate in youth work programmes such as leadership skills and mental wellbeing.
LYS’ Community Training Centre is supported by Limerick & Clare Education & Training Board and is based at Lr. Glentworth St, Limerick City.
A member of Youth Work Ireland, LYS remains committed to connecting with young people and supporting them to reach their full potential.